|Thanks to all past participants
Best wishes in all you do...on
and off of the basketball court!
- Andrew Dahl
Hoops Training & Slam Director
Southwest Slam Program Details
* There is the possibility of more than one team at each grade level (or no team if there aren't enough players trying
out) Teams will have 9 or 10 players on roster. So please help spread the word about tryouts!
* Teams will play in 5 Spring/Early Summer Tournaments. The following is the TENTATIVE weekend tournament
schedule for each team:
April 21-22: Spring Freeze (St. Paul)
April 28th: One Day/3 Game (Twin Cities Metro)
May 5-6: MN Heat Tournament (Twin Cities Metro)
May 20-21: MN Fury Shootout (Eagan)
June 2-3: NorthStar Hoops Report State Tournament (Twin Cities Metro)
April 21-22: Spring Showdown (Twin Cities Metro)
April 28th or 29th: One Day/3 Game (Twin Cities Metro)
May 12-13: Box Out Breast Cancer (Twin Cities Metro)
May 20-21: Hardwood Shootout (Twin Cities Metro)
June 2-3: Spring Championships (Twin Cities Metro)
- Schedule is tentative at this time and may be changed right after tryouts if there is a need to do so due to
coach availability or a potential lack of available players based on information collected on the online sign-up form. Also, may
enter different tournaments due to ability of team or locations (potentially Sioux Falls).
- Most tournaments will be 2-day (both Sat and Sun) events with 3 or 4 games.
- There is also the potential to play more than 5 Tournaments at an additional cost per player to cover entry if the team wants to
continue playing into the summer.
* Practices will be in Marshall or surrounding area. There will be approximately 10 to 12 practices throughout the
season. Typically one practice per week or possibly two early in the spring or if there isn't a tournament the
upcoming weekend. We will take input on practice scheduling from players on the team on the registration form or
you may bring dates to avoid to tryouts. You may also check out the 2017 team rosters/schedules linked above for
an idea of practice and tournament schedules
* Cost is $525.00 per player…includes Jersey, Shorts, and Warm-up Shirt...which are yours to keep. Cost for
returning players using last season's uniform will be $475. New warm-up shirts will be provided.
* Although there is no fee to tryout, we will need a commitment by the night of tryouts that you are willing to play
on a team if selected. Checks (payable to Hoops Training) or cash preferable. Can also take credit cards through
Program Philosophy & Goals
The 2018 Spring Season is Slam Director Andrew Dahl's 12th year of forming spring teams out of SW Minnesota.
The goal each year is to give kids in the area a chance to:
- Gain valuable playing experience with up to 20 games
- Be challenged by playing with and against better players and athletes
- Experience a different coaching style and hopefully learn new skills, learn from game situations, and learn to play
with more intensity, aggressiveness, and toughness.
- Get out of a comfort zone of current teammates, coaches, role, and playing style.
- Come back an improved player ready to contribute at a higher level in the 2018-19 season!
All Southwest Slam teams will have intense practices with a focus on skill development and situational work including:
1) Finishing strong around the basket
2) Creating scoring opportunities with good footwork and fakes
3) Handling pressure - both dribbling, passing, and pivoting
4) Defensive intensity, communication, and boxing out
Not a lot of time will be spent on learning plays that won't benefit the kids in the future. Each team will have a motion offense
and keep good spacing on the floor. Defense will be primarily man-to-man with the option to add a trap or press.
Coaches will be instructed to play each athlete in both halves of each game and at least 30% of the game's total minutes while
still trying to win the game and have the team's top line-up in during crucial times.
We have a number of excellent coaches on board for 2018. We have not matched them to teams at this point. There may be
a need for a couple more depending on numbers at tryouts. Anyone interested in a paid coaching position should contact
Andrew Dahl at 651-592-6099 or AndrewDahl@HoopsTraining.com as soon as possible.
No hotel rooms or transportation is provided. Players & families will be on their own to decide where to stay.
You may stay with friends/relatives in the tournament area or drive to tournament and back each day. Discounted "team hotel"
rates may be available as most past teams have preferred to stay together at the same hotel when possible. Can provide
assistance to a "team parent" to help set these up.
|Club Basketball Teams (AAU) based out of the Marshall, MN area
***ALL ATHLETES*** in the area are invited to tryout!!!
(There is no fee to tryout...but please fill out the Online Registration form below if you will be attending tryouts)
(times listed are for current 2017-18 grade level)
SUNDAY, MARCH 25th, 2018
@ Marshall High School (400 Tiger Drive, Marshall, MN 56258)
6th Grade BOYS – 1:00pm to 2:00pm
7th Grade BOYS – 2:15pm to 3:15pm
8th Grade BOYS – 3:30pm to 4:30pm
9th Grade BOYS – 4:45pm to 5:45pm
10th Grade BOYS – 6:00pm to 7:00pm
11th Grade BOYS – 7:15pm to 8:15pm
6th Grade GIRLS – 1:00pm to 2:00pm
7th Grade GIRLS – 2:15pm to 3:15pm
8th Grade GIRLS – 3:30pm to 4:30pm
9th Grade GIRLS – 4:45pm to 5:45pm
10th Grade GIRLS – 6:00pm to 7:00pm
11th Grade GIRLS – 8:15pm to 9:15pm
Alternate Tryout: If unable to attend on Sunday, March 25th, contact AndrewDahl@HoopsTraining.com
to potentially set up another evaluation time or method. Will likely have a Monday night, March 26th option
- Please register prior to tryouts by filling out the form at the bottom of this page.
- Tryout sessions may exceed the listed time if more evaluation time is deemed necessary.
- Please bring a reversible jersey or both light/dark shirts for scrimmaging situations.
- You may also want to bring a basketball to warm up with. There will be a few on hand, but perhaps not enough
|2018 Southwest Slam - Team Tryouts